I haven’t been doing much quilting lately but I did make a dress and hat for my sweet great niece, Eliza.  I’ll get back to quilting soon I hope….just too much been going on lately!!  Hope you like this non-quilt item!!


All of these quilts were made with stash fabrics – no new purchases. The 3 baby quilts used up some squares that someone gave me a while back.  To finish out the 3rd one, I added the yellow fabric with blue stars I had left from a previous Quilts for Kids quilt.   The hidden 9-patch was a UFO from last year.  I made enough blocks for 2 quilts, made one, and put the other in a box to complete later.  Later finally came!  Two of the quilts are backed with JoAnn Fabrics version of minky. – can’t remember what they call it.  It was my first time trying it out and I loved it!  It was actually very easy to quilt and I love the way the quilts feel.  I will definitely do that again!!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Here are my latest Quilts for Kids.  The first two were made from fabric out of my extensive stash.  The first one is a cowboy theme.  I free-hand quilted barbed wired on this quilt – it was quick and easy.  Best of all, it looks so cute!!  The second one is cute frogs and flowerpots.  I just love pink and green together – so cheerful!!  I free-hand quilted flowers and butterflies on this quilt – alternating in the border as well as the in the blocks.  The third quilt pictured is a “rescue” quilt.  It came to me as a juvenile delinquent.  One of my fellow Quilt Guild members started it as a quilt for her bed.  After paper-piecing the blocks in the center of this quilt, she decided it wasn’t want she wanted.  At that point, she decided to make a charity quilt of it.  She started working on it and because the edges are all bias (she had removed the paper stabilizing the blocks), she had issues with the border rippling.  She said that she had worked on it 3 times and was done – did I want to see what I could do with it.  Well, I put a black inner border on it by starching the life out of it, measuring it, marking a straight line, and then placing a pin every half inch or so.  Once I got the inner border tamed, it went together fairly easily.  I used some cream kona cotton for the backing.  I think this joint adventured turned out wonderful and some child will love it!!

I occasionally check out craigslist to see what kind of machines have made it to the list.  I found this Singer Treadle 66-1.  It had been listed about 2 weeks and the price had dropped from $65 to $50.  I thought about it for a while and then decided to ask some of my Quilting Board Yahoo Group friends what they thought.  Well, one of my friends there sent me a private message asking for the link.  After looking at the machine, she pretty much said, “GO!!”  I went, looked, and $40 later came home with this baby!  She needs a couple of parts but seems to be in great condition.  I can’t wait to get her going again….oh, the stories she could tell!! Photos show what is missing, what was included, and the machine.  The last 3 photos are photos of a “Rotary Magic Buttonholer” which was in one of the cabinet drawers.  I’m trying to figure that one out!

Well, better late than never!  This is my quilting for the March free motion quilting challenge.  The challenge can be found here:  http://sewcalgal.blogspot.com/p/free-motion-quilt-challenge.html  I played around with a flower design and decided to add a butterfly so that I could alternate the designs in my Quilts for Kids blocks.  This challenge is taking me places that I wouldn’t go on my own.  Thanks to SewCalGal and all of those experts who are contributing to our education!!  This month’s challenge tutorial is by Ann Fahl.  My first photo shows when I first started trying to figure out exactly how to go from flower to butterfly to flower, etc.  My second photo shows practice, practice, and more practice.  The third photo is the front of the quilt and the fourth photo is the back.  I really like this design and will probably use it a lot!!

This is a quilt for my husband’s older daughter.  She’s expecting the end of April.  Her sister, Emily, drew the pictures and colored them with crayons, then they were ironed to set the color and take out the extra wax.  Emily picked out the fabrics and I put it together and quilted it.  Emily also designed the label.  I think Emily did a great job and Caroline will love her special quilt!!

Here is a quilt that will be going to the Quilt Guild when we meet on Tuesday.  It’s a simple little quilt but it’s cute!!